Post Surgery Update - Cancer FREE!

I am healing well after my surgery. Everything went smoothly and now I'm on the road to recovery.  I'm feeling good!

This post goes out to my parents - they have been hugely helpful. They took all three boys to sleep over their house Thursday through to today. There would have been no way I could recover with all three of them climbing and hanging on me. I feel like my hip is the perfect height to their little hands and heads and they would constantly hit it. Anyway, THANK YOU mom and dad. You were so great with them, and I know the boys had a blast over there. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Now I will provide a timeline from my original biopsy through to present day - so you can see the developments and healing process over the last two months.

June 12, 2019 - day of original shave and biopsy

A few days after the biopsy 

This was probably about a month after the shave, so around mid to end of July 2019

This was taken the night before my surgery, and the following pictures were taken the night before, as well.

And now for a few post op pics! The "wide excision for melanoma on right hip" was literally the title my specific surgery. It lasted about an hour and it was done at Brigham, just down the street from Dana Farber. It was all pretty quick and painless. I went in about noon for a 1pm procedure. I was awake. They had me lay down and cleaned the area. They injected me with quite a bit of lidocaine. That was the worst part - lots of stinging and burning. And then they did a few things that either sounded gross or smelled gross (like burning flesh). It was over pretty quickly. Then they stitched up the several layers (this part took the longest amount of time). I could then pretty much just walk right out when they were done. Jim was waiting for me and we drove home. I took this pic on the car ride home.

Day of wide excision - August 15, 2019

This was later that evening, after a little nap.

And this picture was taken this morning - August 18, 2019. I am going to take the bandage off today. Jim took the boys to get me some new bandages at CVS.

Surprisingly, there weren't a lot of post care instructions. I needed to keep the bandage on and dry for 2-3 days. I can now shower, as long as I keep it mostly dry and have it air dry whenever I feel comfortable.  I cannot lift more than 10 lbs, minimal stairs and walking. Avoid household chores (darn). They want me to be as careful as possible with physical activity, as they do not want the wound to open up.  Jimbo has been super helpful with meals and taking care of the boys today. 

I go back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out. And I cannot go swimming for about 5-6 weeks. Other than that, it is typical rest, motrin, ice, etc.   

In addition to my parents, I also want to thank Jim for taking care of me and driving me to/from Dana Farber and MGH these last few weeks. And I also want to thank EVERYONE who sent flowers, texts, calls, and always asking how I am feeling - coworkers, family, friends, everyone! It is so appreciated. You all definitely know how to make a girl feel good!!

I will keep you all posted on how I am feeling over the next few days! Thanks for reading. :)



Popular posts from this blog

Cals Feb Vacation journal

This is What Miscarriage Looks Like…

Cadens Feb Vacation journal